Monday, May 19, 2008

Sean and I are moving to Beijing, China in less than 16 days! A few weeks ago we received our immunizations. I only had to get a Tetanus, and Typhoid pill (thanks Mom for keeping me up to date every year). Sean on the other hand had to get Hepatitis A and B, Tetanus, Meningitis, and also the Typhoid pill. Sean is not fond of shots in the first place, so when he had to get four, he was not pleased.
We are also in the process of gathering up things to take with us. To name a few examples: all season clothing, a year supply of deodorant (not too common over there), vanilla (also hard to find), a major first aid kit with medicines for whatever bodily functions we might encounter from the change of diet, and a web cam for communicating with my family and friends.
Many have asked me what my feelings are for this adventure. My response has been the following: I'm excited to do and be somewhere new, I love change. I also have observed that all of the Chinese people in Utah that we have come in contact with are extremely personable, kind, generous, and genuine. Because of that, I am excited to get to know the people in China. However, I'm a little worried for the food and language. Growing up, I was not much of a rice fan. Slowly, I am enjoying it more and more. From what I read and heard, the selection of meat in China is endless. They are very resourceful, using all parts of the body and whatever the earth bears; from bumble bees as "croutons" on you salad to shark fin in your soup. As long as the food is not moving then I think I'll eat it, or rather "try" it.
As for my language skills, they're pretty low. Right now I've been in the process of picking a Chinese name. All of their names have to do with nature, ideas, and symbolism. So I decided to be summer sunflower. Both of these things symbolize who I am. However, if I am not careful in pronouncing these words in the right tones, it can easily be misunderstood as foreign murderer. Yikes! So Sean and I are now thinking about changing a few things.

4 comments:

Matt & Melissa said...

It was fun to stumble upon your blog. Sounds like you guys have some exciting plans. Check us out at mnerdin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

dear mrs.floyd
i've missed you so much. i feel so sorry for you and your husband. i would of cried so hard if i had to get nall those shots. my mom and i have been missing you and so does gabe. you look so cute in the pic. on the blog page. i hope you come back and teach at Mt.Loafer.
i hope you got everything you need if not YIKES!
missng you teribly,
Grace Rugg

Christy Gunnell said...

Sam and Sean! I want to wish you two the best of luck in China. I am sad that we missed ya before you guys headed out on your adventure. Please keep us posted and I will do the same. What's the best email address to contact you at?? You two are amazing! Thank you Sam for the beautiful picture frame you sent to my shower! CHASE AND I BOTH LOVE IT! I sent a thank you note along with our announcement to your Provo address but I don't know if you got it before you left. I l love you two!

Tchuchovsky said...

Chamo el deseyuno es muy barato alla, con mas razon me quiero ir paya. jejeje.
la historia es muy interesante y me alegra mucho de verdad.