A few weeks ago, Sean and I were able to go with some friends (Johnny, a friend from BYU and Johnny's friend, Dan) to the Great Wall of China. We first tried to go to the closest wall to us at Badaling (only 44 miles from Beijing), but all the roads were closed because of an Olympic bike race. So we went to Mutianyu, which is just northwest of Badaling (56 miles from Beijing). We took a cable car to the top of the mountain. What I find amazing is that the Great Wall was built after the unification of China in 221-210 BC. The foundation of the wall at Mutianyou was built during the Northern Qi dynasty (AD 55-70). The wall has since been restored and dates from 1368.
The view from the lift.
In the distance you can see where the wall gets very steep up along the mountain side. Of course, Sean wanted to go where most people would not go. Up, to the mountain top!
Outside the watch tower. The wall's watchtowers allowed communication to happen quickly with smoke, flares, drums, bells, and gunpowder. These signals could indicate the location under attack and would alert local forts. The local forts would then send reinforcements, and reinforcements would send runners back to give a complete message.
Some parts of the carriageway have stairs to climb, and others are just a smooth pathway. It averages about 26 feet high and 21 feet wide. 
Getting closer!
When we reached the last part of the wall that we were allowed to climb, Sean became so excited to see the view from the top.
Looking back at how far we've come. It was so steep that it made me nervous looking back. I was worried I might loose my balance and fall backwards.
Once we reached the top of the mountain, we saw what the wall would look like when renovations are not made. I love how you can see the crumbling layers.








3 comments:
Sam! Sean! This is amazing! I would have loved to go with you on this hike. I love hiking and this looks like a once in a lifetime experience, so cool. Thanks for sharing! We miss you guys and love you!
xxoo
Audrey
Hi Sam!
These pictures are great! I am glad I found your blog to keep in touch with you...enjoy China and please say hi to Sean for me!!!
Jessica
Why no updates? I miss you so much!
Post a Comment