Sean and I spent our first Thanksgiving without our families this year. Luckily, we have some wonderful friends (Tamera and Michael Griggs) who invited us, along with some of their Chinese friends for their Thanksgiving dinner. Before we started the meal, we noticed Michael had placed two kernels of corn on each plate before dinner was served. We went around the table and said two things that we were thankful for and placed the kernels in a glass. After this experience I promised myself I would finally update our blog and record a few of the things I am thankful for.
First, I am so grateful for our health right now. Sean and I have been living in Beijing for just about six months now and we have had the worst time with our health, Sean in particular. Last week Sean was in the hospital for food poisoning. The poor guy ate some street food and suffered major consequences. Currently we are in a transitional period with work and so we couldn’t afford to go to a Western hospital without insurance, so we went to our neighborhood Chinese hospital. It wasn’t so bad, but Sean had to be hooked up to an IV from 11pm to 3am because he had lost so much fluid and nutrition. I am so grateful to our neighbor Willy who helped us with some interpretation and for just about everything else he does to help us out. (In case you’re curious, our hospital bill was about $40. Not bad huh?)
Second, I am thankful that we had Elder Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles come to visit our branch.
Elder Clayton and Elder Perkins of the Seventy were with him holding two regional mission president leadership trainings for the Asian missions. Along the way, Elder Oaks felt prompted to stop in Beijing. We were so lucky to meet him and hear special words directed specifically for us. It could have been the jet-lag, but we were able to see a very humorous side of Elder Oaks. He was cracking jokes, and laughing so much through out his talk, it was really fun to see that side of him. He even had his wife say a few words to the singles in our branch (she got married after the age of 50) and had some really inspiring words for them. There are a lot trials and hardships living in a foreign country, and a lot of things you fall in love with as well. We were reminded of the things we cherish and love here. I am grateful for the Lord’s hand in watching over us here in Beijing, and for the messengers He sends to inspire, motivate, and encourage us. Sean and I feel really blessed and lucky.
Third, I am thankful for the opportunity to have substituted at a preschool for two and three year olds. It was so difficult, especially keeping the attention of the two year olds, but they sure were cute. Here are some pictures of these cute kids. Snack time was the only time I had a spare moment to capture a few of them. I think the crumbs add a little something more to their darling faces, don’t you?






Fourth, two weeks ago I started working at a new school called Ivy Academy. I am so happy there. I always come home with a smile on my face, and never past 6pm! It’s a pre-school based off of Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences. It was created in collaboration with Harvard Graduate School of Education researchers and has classes for students two through six years of age. The school is located in the heart of the diplomatic area so most of the students are from all around the world. There are 15 students in my Kindergarten class, and three teachers. I’m the English teacher and I have two incredibly creative Chinese teachers that help me out. We speak in English in the morning and then in Chinese in the afternoon. In the afternoon I feel like I’m a student rather than a teacher because I learn so much Chinese. I am amazed at the fact that most of my students are bilingual or even trilingual. There is only one student from America,
one student from Canada (but she is Chinese), four students from China,
one student from Africa (I’m not sure where because he can’t speak in English or Chinese),
one student from Iran,
one student from Mexico,
one student from Ecuador,
two students from Australia, one from Indonesia,
one student from the Philippines
, and one student from Germany.
I still work for New Oriental on Saturdays (teaching university students oral English classes from 8am-8pm) where I have to travel all over Beijing through out the day. I’m really proud to mention that to you all! I can ride the subway, bus, taxi, all by myself. I know how to speak a little Chinese so if I get lost, or can’t find the school campus of one of my classes I can ask people where it is, what bus to take, etc. I am just really grateful for the opportunity to gain so many wonderful teaching experiences here. I truly feel so lucky and blessed, despite the many hardships. But to tell you the truth, I wouldn’t be able to be so confident if I didn’t say a little prayer in my heart every minute I’m traveling. So often I get off the subway, and I have four exits to choose from (A,B,C, or D). My classes are so tightly sweezed together that if I were to get lost, or head the wrong direction, I would be late to a class. I know the Spirit guides me to which exit to go out of, which side of the street I should be on for the bus to come, which person I should ask some help from, etc. I would rather not work six days a week, but I am thankful that this school helps me to rely on the Lord a little more and loose some of my pride, and for that I have been greatly blessed.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Thankful
Posted by bunky at 5:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What an amazing experience! We miss seeing you guys, but it sounds like you're have a great time!
I can't believe you are so experienced now in the world! I am jealous, and picking up Chinese, I am impressed. I hope you continue to have good health and good experiences.
sam, looks like you are doing great things in China. Keep up the good work and try to stay healthy girlie!
Post a Comment