Monday, August 11, 2008

The Day in Korea

On August 2nd, Sean and I had to leave China becuase our visas have a 60-day duration/mulitiple entry . In order for us to continue living here, we had to leave the country, and once we returned our visas would renew for another 60 days. So the cheapest tickets we could find were to Seoul, Korea.
The airport in Seoul is on an island. The country is so beautiful and so green. We were able to stay the night with our New Zealand friend , Dai. Dai is a kindergarten teacher. We were also able to meet up with our friend, Adam, who stayed with us in Beijing for a few days before he headed off to his internship in Korea. On Sunday morning, Sean got up early and made a huge hike up a mountain that has a 360 degree view of Seoul on the top.
Sean wished he would have taken one of these cable cars beause the trail was so steep. Once he made it to the top, he could see the city. He absolutely loved it, and I wish I could have experienced the view with him. Instead, I decided to sleep in.
This is the road that lead to the trail on the mountain. Korean characters are phonetic, so they are much easier to learn to read than Chinese. There are over 40,000 different characters in Chinese. Yikes! I have so much to learn. Luckily, only 5,000 are really used daily.
Korea may be beautiful, but it is so expensive. We are so greatful for the cost of living in China. Korea is as expensive as living in the United States. Even though our trip was short, we really enjoyed the views, the people, and the ward. I'm sure our friends, Dave and and Wendy, are going to really enjoy the adventure Korea brings them (Dave is going to teach English for the year). We 're sorry we barely missed you guys. I guess we'll have to come again.

1 comments:

David and Wendy Pendergrass said...

I'm so glad you had fun in Korea and still bummed that we missed you. Please come again. You are welcome to stay with us if you do. Our apartment is much larger than we expected, so we have plenty of room for visitors.