Sean and I took a bus just northwest of Beijing to the Ming Tombs. This is the resting place for 13 of the 16 Ming emperors. Each tomb is nestled up on the mountains in a feng shui way, and "protects the tombs from the evil spirits carried on the north wind." It was really peaceful here. It was nice to escape the crowds of the city, and come to a tranquil sanctuary.

The Spirit Way is the pathway to the 13 burial tombs. It is lined with stone statues of officials, soldiers, animals, and mythological beasts.







Ding Ling is the tomb of the Ming emperor that had the longest reign. Wanli (1573-1620), is the only burial chamber of the 16 tombs to have been excavated and opened to the public. In the 1950s archaeologists found the inner doors of the chamber still intact here.
The interior of the tomb is surprisingly plain.
Chang Ling (tomb) was the first tomb to be built (1424). I loved the flowers outside, welcoming us in. Although it has been beautifully restored, the burial chamber, where Yongle, his wife, and 16 concubines are thought to be buried have not been excavated.
The interior of the tomb is surprisingly plain.


This is the statue of the Yongle Emperor. He was the third Ming emperor. He was the one who moved the capital from Nanjing to Beijing, where he then oversaw the construction of the Forbidden City.

On display here are artifacts from the Wanli emperor's tomb. You can see this threaded-gold crown. Notice the dragons on this crown. The dragon is used everywhere on the imperial buildings, decorations, jewelry, crowns, furniture, walkways, doors, and even during the Chinese New Year festival. "The dragon is a mythological beast made up of many animal parts (snake's body, deer horns, bull's ears, hawk's claws, and fish scales) and thus has magical characteristics. It can fly, swim, change into other animals, ward off evil spirits, and helps to bring rainfall." The dragon represents the power and strength of the emperor.








2 comments:
Wow!! My google reader was a little behind!! It sounds like you guys are having so much fun. I have definitely enjoyed catching up. I am with you on the chicken and pigs feet, I would probably throw up. Hope you guys are doing well. We sure miss you!
I giggled when I you said the weathering of the rocks :) I will have to print your pics off and show the kids for our weathering and erosion unit. I love reading about everything your doing, it is amazing! We go back full time on Thursday and it is going to be so wierd without you!!
P.S. Happy late birthday!!!
Post a Comment