Since Spring Festival is the biggest holiday here, we decided to celebrate in lao (old) Beijing fashion; doing what the locals do. We bundled up and headed to a temple fair at Ditan Park (a tradition that extends over a thousand years). There were tons of regional foods, arts, crafts, and traditional performances, and silly things to buy. Once we got out of the subway we asked a man were Ditan park was. With a smirk, he pointed his finger and said, "Ni genzhe dajia jiu daole (you follow big family, you will arrive)."
Inch by inch we walked along with the herd of people. It was so much fun to see all of the lanterns and decorations.
We even had the chance to do some Karaoke in front of a few hundred people. Too bad the words were wrong on the screen. I love Amy's face here.
We had to do some improve lyrics, but it was still really fun to rock out on the chorus.
What better way to ring in the year of the Ox than to buy an Ox poop balloon?
We continued on through the park and I noticed this cute little bundled up boy. I just had to get a picture. You can tell it is still cold out here, by all of his layers. However, if you click on the picture you will see a little surprise (children start potty training at 4-6 months so most children don't use diapers).
Next we came to the food section of the park. Look at these appetising treats!
This reminded me of our time at Wangfujing street (you could try all sorts of crazy food like: sea horse, cow stomach, snake, dog, lamb genitalia, and much much more) I'm still debating on if I should post those pictures. Did we try anything? I guess you'll just have to wait and see when I finally get around to posting the pictures. Anyway, we decided we had enough of the crowds and had seen all there was to see. It was a memorable experience and a great way to end our Spring Festival holiday. 
Thursday, February 5, 2009
When in China do as the Chinese do...
Posted by Samantha at 7:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh Sam, that picture of that little boy has made my day!--No, it has made my LIFE! That is the cutest little thing! no pun intended.
So....do little kids to wet on their pants? I'm so confused how that is even helpful! :)
Oh I get it, it's just too hard to take off all those layers, right? :) Such a good idea! Looks like I will be "altering" Thomas' clothes, I mean he's so far behind since he's 13 months...
Post a Comment